Eating made easy
What’s in a residence meal plan?
A residence meal plan unlocks wholesome meals, coffee, snacks, and more at Memorial University’s Gushue Dining Hall.
Whether you’re enjoying a meal with friends or snacking on the go, you’ll reap multiple benefits from your meal plan.
Meal plan benefits
- Full and convenient access to breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as snacks, and various hot and cold beverages
- Healthy choices
- A menu that caters to diverse needs and preferences, such as halal, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, and lactose alternatives
- Comfort food
- International cuisine
- Fresh, local and seasonal ingredients (whenever available)
- Accomplished executive chef backed by a talented culinary team
- Dedicated team of managers to field your questions and address your concerns
- For mandatory meal plan holders, exclusive events that include theme nights, local food days, as well as health, wellness and sustainability activities
- Real-time feedback platforms to solicit your questions and comments about menu options and service satisfaction
- Accommodation for special diets and to address allergies and other dietary restrictions
How we deal with allergies and dietary restrictions
MUN Dining does not operate in an allergen- and peanut-free facility. As a result, the culinary team cannot guarantee that food prepared in the dining hall has not become cross-contaminated with allergens and peanuts.
If you have a self-identified or diagnosed allergy, intolerance or restriction, please email email@example.com to verify whether our dining hall can accommodate your needs.
How we keep you safe during COVID-19
Your safety and that of our staff remains our number-one priority. When you step foot into the dining hall, you can expect:
- Increased frequencies of cleaning and sanitization of high-touch points
- Protective barriers between you and staff members serving you food from behind the counter
- Food service employees donning personal protective equipment to protect them and you
- Enforcement of facial coverings, which students must wear at all times
- Hand sanitizers at the main entrance and throughout the dining hall
- No self-serve (e.g., salad bar) or self-cook stations. Our staff members are happy to serve you!
- Communications measures and signage that encourage social distancing
- Digital solutions to provide feedback about the menu and your dining experience
Meet your executive chef: Derrick Dean
Born and bred on the Rock, Executive Chef Derrick Dean has more than 30 years of culinary experience, having worked in kitchens across Canada.
In 2018, he joined the MUN Dining team and since then, has been the driving force behind menu innovation across residential, retail and catering food services.
Chef Derrick has earned his Red Seal Journeyman’s Certificate from New Brunswick Community College, as well, graduated from the Culinary Plus program.
He has also captured numerous medals as a result of having participated in culinary competitions in Canada and the United States.
Chef Derrick says what he relishes most is the opportunity to interact with students in the dining hall, as well as working with the freshest ingredients available and presenting meals that are aesthetically appealing because he strongly believes in the adage that people eat with their eyes first.
In his spare time, he enjoys basking in Newfoundland’s pristine nature by fishing, hunting or camping
Need help with your meal plan?